Should I get a PhD?
Plovism launches a series of videos dedicated to the topic of obtaining a PhD. I will share my personal experience of finding, going through and defending PhD in the Netherlands. This is not an official tutorial.
I kick off the first session with a general discussion of whether you should or should not get a PhD. Some cons and some pros. In this specific order, so as to end on a relatively positive note.
A brief summary:
- PhD is time-consuming
- Chances of being overworked and underpaid are great
- It is a psychological burden
- Academia is toxic
- It can be rewarding if some of the stars align
- You get to explore a topic you are passionate about
- You have a job. In the Netherlands, it is predominantly employment, not studentship
- You have 3-4 years to become an expert in something
- If you want to work in academia, teach university-level courses and conduct research those two letters before your last name are essential